William H. Gray III 30th Street Station Project
15th September 2021
DWPF provided model audit advice to Plenary Infrastructure Philadelphia (PIP) on the financing of William H. Gray III 30th Street Station Redevelopment Project.
Under the agreement, PIP will refurbish and improve the historic building, finance those improvements and maintain the station for a 50-year term. The historic transportation hub is nearly 100 years old and is Amtrak’s third busiest station. This redevelopment project will restore and highlight the historic fabric of the majestic station, while refining the customer experience by introducing new amenities, reinvigorating the station’s retail and commercial potential, improving and expanding existing office space and enhancing transit and pedestrian traffic flows.
This large scale redevelopment is the first significant phase of Amtrak’s ongoing efforts toward implementing the Gray 30th Street Station District Plan and includes nearly 500,000 square feet of renovation and modernization. As part of the project, PIP will be responsible for:
- Bringing the overall station into a state of good repair.
- Providing expanded retail offerings to meet the needs of travelers and the local community.
- Enhancing operational efficiency through reconfiguration and modernization of back-of-house facilities to accommodate projected increases in ridership.
- Significantly enhancing the quality of customer experience with an emphasis on convenience, usability and comfort.
- Rejuvenating the historic station as both a customer-oriented gateway and civic destination by celebrating and enhancing the facility’s unique and iconic Neoclassical and Art Deco design.
- Completing a renovation of the corporate office spaces in the upper levels of the station.
- Operations and maintenance of the existing building, beginning on September 1, 2021.
- Creating an expanded and modernized concessions experience, with high quality retail and food & beverage offerings for travelers and employees.
Construction on the renovation is expected to begin in 2022 and be complete in 2025.
Key members of the PIP team include: Plenary Americas as lead developer, Gilbane Building Company as design-build lead, Johnson Controls Inc. for facility operations and maintenance, and Vantage Airport Group for concessions development and management.